Friday, June 26, 2015

[ARTICLE] Interview: SANSPO (Dongwoon)


-Congratulations on your solo debut!
Thank you! I will work hard!

This year, the independent label BEAST Music was formed and for 10 consecutive months, a single will be released every month. In the midst of that active promotion, Dongwoon-san debuted solo. Please tell us your resolution.
Although I’m feeling burdened/pressured by the solo album, but I will work hard as BEAST’s representative.

-When did you start preparing for the album?
I first heard talks about the solo album in December last year and started preparing from late February. I prepared for about 3 months.

What did you feel when you first heard about the solo debut?
I was really happy and there were various things so I was really anticipating/looking forward to it. However, all these while I’ve been promoting as 6 so having to do things (by myself) for the first time, or having to know what to do – I feel pressure at those parts. Even now it’s pressurising.

What did you prepare?
For this first solo, I wanted to express to everyone my outlook/view on music so I wrote the lyrics. I decided on the overall concept (of the album); for the jacket photos and MV too, my opinions are reflected. I wanted to personally include my stories.

Does it reflect your experiences too?
Although it’s not 100% my experiences, the things that I imagined, I think of them as my stories. There are general experiences and there are also experiences that I went through myself.

-In the non-title songs, there are various forms of one-sided love being expressed, but like you mentioned just now, would it include stories you experienced for yourself?
I didn’t include it on purpose because I experienced it, rather it went in subconsciously.  I’ve also experienced unrequited love before.

You’re not debuting solo in Korea but in Japan coupled with solo promotions. What are you concerned about?
The ways of promotion and its contents differ when in Japan and when in Korea. In Japan, before the album is released, there are various things that are done so in that regard it’s different. Also Japanese is a foreign language for me so it’s difficult.  Because the whole album is to be sung in Japanese, it was important to be able to express my emotions .

It’s really difficult to be writing lyrics expressing your emotions in a different language; how did you study (Japanese)?
I think of an image that reflects the Japanese word so when I’m singing, I recall that image.

Last year when BEAST released Adrenaline, you came to Japan alone for promotions. Is there anything you would like to try alone?
Through this album, I want to have many live (sessions). I want to meet fans in different regions and I’m planning to go.


-Not too long ago, you had a live guerrilla (session) in Shibuya.
Yes. I was really nervous. Up till now, I’ve only performed in front of fans who like me so it wasn’t as nerve wrecking and I was able to sing but standing and singing in front of people who don’t know me at a considerably close distance, I was nervous.

-In Korea too, there was never an instance of having a guerrilla (performance)?
Yes, I’ve never done it in Korea and it was my first time ever in Japan.

-What were the reactions of the viewers?
I think the reactions were good.

-We’re really anticipating the songs you wrote ‘Only You’, ‘Too Sweet, You’, ‘Star’, together with Ayaka-san’s cover song ‘Tsuyokuomou’ and a new song Ayaka-san wrote (title undecided). Please tell us the point of each song.
For ‘Only You’, it is a track that talks about love; Although you may not think of it that way but I thought of a more widespread content and I wanted to give courage to the people who are sad; I wrote the lyrics with that kind of story. For ‘Too Sweet, You’.. I’ve always liked R&B and it’s been a song I’ve been wanting to sing for a long time. I hope you listen to this song with the R&B melody that it carries. The song that Ayaka-san wrote and gifted me is a song about unrequited love and the main person in that (song) is me. I think it’s heart-warming. Because it’s (about) a man who kindly wishes for the other party to be happy, I hope you feel the heart-warming emotions. For ‘Star’, I sang this song last year at the concert with  Yoseobie hyung and Doojoonie hyung and the fans made me feel touched at that concert. I wanted to include that feeling in the album too so I had a new recording for it. I hope you feel the touched feeling and the happy memories (of the concert) from the song.

-Is there a song you would recommend specially or specific lyrics that you like?
It’s the first solo so everything is good but I like ‘Only You’ and ‘Star’ which is a song that has shared memories of me and the fans.

-What is Dongwoon-san’s lyrics writing style?
I’m someone who will take a long time to write. I’m someone who will write an expression and erase it and repeat the whole process again. I’m the style that will have a memo; I want to write lyrics that are reminiscent of a drama or a movie so I think of a scene and write based on that. There are moments when I write in Korean, there are also times when I start writing in Japanese and end the lyrics with all of it completely being in Japanese.
 Inspiration for ‘Star’ came from the scene of China’s ‘The Three Kingdom’ where Sima Yi knew of Zhuge Liang’s death.

-I heard that the cover song, Ayaka’s ‘Tsuyokuomou’is your favourite song, what part do you like?
I liked the lyrics and the melody so I listened to it but I really like the meaning behind the song and I’ve always thought of when I would be able to sing this kind of song. This time round, there was a great opportunity resulting in me being able to sing this song. Since I’ve always thought of doing a cover, I feel happy.

-What do you like about Ayaka-san?
I think she’s really amazing at expressing emotions. Her singing skills is great too but her ability to express emotions is really excellent.

Please let us know how Ayaka-san came about in writing a song for you.
Listening to ‘Tsuyokuomou’, I requested to do a cover of the song but Ayaka-san too wanted to gift me with something so she made a song for me.

-Was there an opportunity for you to speak to Ayaka-san?
Ah Ayaka-san is busy and she’s in the midst of her pregnancy so we weren’t able to meet up but through the staff, I received a message saying “I will work hard on creating a song that Dongwoon-san’s fans would like”. I am really happy.

-Apart from Ayaka-san, at concerts you’ve sung Ken Hirai-san and MISIA-san songs too; Do you have a favourite song or singer from Japan?
I’ve always liked R&B. The song that I like recently is Kobukuro’s ‘Flower Bud’ and I listen to it often. I really like the lyrics. Through the lyrics, I learn Japanese and listening to it, it seems like it gives me strength.

-In your next work/album, would you like to try it out?
Whenever my skills improve, I’d like to try it but right now it’s still too much (for me). Even so, I would like to try it someday.

Junhyung-san made two songs for you; how were the members’ reactions?
Whenever we have solo activities, we don’t give things like advices. We don’t say much to each other but even so, just by being next to each other, it becomes a strength for us. We support each other through our heart so even when we don’t say anything, we know it (the support). Although they do say things like “Work hard/do well”. (laughs)

-Do you get advice from Junhyung-san on how to sing?
I’ve been working with Junhyungie hyung for a long time so there’s no special advice or anything. Hyung too knows my voice and method of singing well so he makes songs that would match that; I’m also aware of hyung’s directing style so naturally I’ll match it (JH’s style with his singing).

What were the response of the people around you when BEAST MUSIC was established?
At first it was pressurising creating a label with BEAST’s name but having many opportunities to sing various genres of music, I think it’s a really good thing.
Not just writing his lyrics in Japanese but even during Japanese concerts, he wrote the script/ment too. His Japanese language skills have really improved. In this interview too, he was without a translator and he gave all his answers in Japanese. Therefore, now he said his aim is to dream in Japanese.

-Your Japanese (language) skill has really improved by a lot, how did you study?
Lately, I converse in Japanese with my teacher for two hours a day. In a week, I do it for 3-4 times but lately I don’t have much time…

You’re really good.
I’m trying hard. I have schedules so I’m not able to do it every day but when I get time, I’ll practice. But I’m still lacking in a lot. I want to try even harder.

When did you start studying?
It’s been about a year and five months.

What motivation did you have to keep maintaining it?
Not being able to understand what the fans were saying, I was a little angry at myself so I started studying. My motivation is thinking of being able to personally converse with the Japanese fans in Japanese.

-Last year in Korean broadcast, you hosted ‘Super Idol Chart Show’ as an MC, this year you’ve tried radio DJ and your solo activities have increased. What’s the difference between group promotions and solo promotions?
For solo promotions, you get to show off your own charms and it’s great but in that regard, alone you can’t not match up to the skills that the group, six people, possess so it’s hard.

What is something that you must try in the future?
I want to be a regular DJ. I like listening to other people’s stories and talking about it.

Dongwoon-san’s era is here.
(shy) Hahaha… I’m working hard that on the opportunities that are here so I believe that a time like that will come.

Amongst the members, only Dongwoon-san is the youngest (as the other members are the same age). Being the maknae, what are the pros and cons?
The merit of being a maknae is that when we have to talk to the company boss, even if I don’t personally do it myself, leader Doojoon hyung will speak up on my behalf so it works out even when I don’t do anything – that’s the merit. I have pretty much the same opinions as the hyungs so I just don’t do anything. There’s nothing difficult about being the maknae. I’m close with the hyungs and we’re always playing and drinking together. More than hyungs, they feel like friends (same age).

-You debuted at 19, and it’s been 6 years since debut. Compared to the debut period, has there been anything that changed?
In the past, even when there was something I wanted to say, I won’t say it. Now, I’m able to articulate it properly. Rather than me gaining confidence, it’s because I would get frustrated if I don’t say it so I’m not able to hold myself back (laughs).

-What do you think your personality is like?
I think I’m kind and humorous (laughs). The people around me say I’m kind too.

-Please tell us your hobby or the way you relax during your break.
I’m someone who doesn’t really go out. At home, I rest by lighting candles, and looking at figurines (BE@RBRICK). I planted plants but in winter, they wilted and it all died. I’m pretty sad…

A fashion style that you like?
I like a comfy style. Lately I’ve been working out so I’m always wearing training gear and comfortable shoes.

-What work out do you do?
I train my muscles. I’m continuously doing it for 100 days. I do it in Japan too. There’s no time to head to the gym so I bought a mat and I do things like push ups.

-Please tell us your aims for the future.
I want to release my solo album in Korea too. I will also work hard so that I’m able to release another album in Japan too.  More than my solo activities, I want our group activities to increase and for us to promote for a long time.

-Is there anyone in Japan that you would like to perform with?
I want to try (acting) with Satomi Ishihara. I like them all. If there is a chance for me to make an appearance in a Japanese drama, it would be great.

Is there a pledge made for this solo album?
Firstly, I’m satisfied with people just listening to my music but.. Oricon first place!….is too much but.. second place or third place… hahaha. This is the album’s aim. If I achieve the aim for this album, I’ll bow to this album.

-Something you’ll like to do with the fans?
I want to meet fans from various provinces with my promotion, this time round I’ll be going to the places we planned. I want to sing live in front of fans from the various provinces. If I do head to the provinces, I want to walk on their streets.

-Lastly, please leave a message to the Japanese fans.
I’m releasing a solo album for the first time so I’ve worked hard on it and I ask for your support. Now it’s the start and I will continue making progress so please keep a lookout for me!


Source: SANPO
cr. theb2utynotes.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment